Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Improvements

It has barely been 2 weeks since my last post but I see and feel improvements. For one, I don't have to push myself too hard to go exercise (though on nights when I sleep late, the next morning is a bit challenging) but I've still managed at least 20 minutes.

The improvements I see are that my body is getting firmer, my clothes are fitting better. More importantly, because I'm working out, I'm happier with the way my body feels, even if it sags a bit here and there.

Also, I'm reaching the optimum level of exercise where my mind can really focus when I'm exercising. I realised that I was pushing the jogging too hard (trying to run faster than I had stamina for) so have slowed down on that a bit, and discovered that when I walk fast or jog slowly, the body's functioning well enough for the mind to have 'free time' (i.e. no constant encouragement or paying attention to aches, or worrying about breath) and the mind focusses on whatever I choose. I've found answers to questions or issues that I was grappling with fairly easily when so engaged and am interested in seeing how far this goes.

Thanks to some athletic activity in the complex, I've learnt that I swim more than I thought, and walk/jog more than I thought. The walk/jog is important, because I decided that I was not going to push myself to speeds greater than 6kmph, and thought I was only doing 2.5km in 30 minutes but apparently I'm doing 3. Also, if I keep building stamina, I should be able to push this up to 4 and, eventually, maybe even 5.

The shorter term goal (4 days of exercise per week) is going ok so far, the 5km in 30 minutes by end April will probably not happen, and I'm not so sure I mind.

No comments: